20 minutes. Yep, that’s it! 20 minutes and you’ve got yourself a fantastic, filling, and yummy plant based meal sitting on your table. Oh happy day. Eating well is not always convenient but it’s important, and that’s why I love creating recipes that you can whip up in no time. My 20 Minute Hearty Vegan Sandwich filling tastes a lot like pizza sauce with mixed with mushrooms, bell peppers, tempeh, and pinto beans. Yay for fiber, protein, and deliciously bold flavors! You really can have it all.
This is a great meal to take to school or work. Also, I love 20 Minute Hearty Vegan Sandwiches because they’re filling!! It’s so important for me to make nutrient dense meals that are satisfying because if I don’t, then I’m prone to snacking on junk food.
- 1.5 large bell peppers
- 227 g mushrooms
- 16 g of tempeh
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
- 3 tbsp coconut avocado oil blend for sautéing
- 1 can organic tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth (add more as needed)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- dash of nutmeg
- Fresh chopped cilantro if wanted
- Cut the veggies and tempeh into small pieces.
- Saute the veggies and tempeh in the avocado coconut oil blend on medium heat for a few minutes (sautéed mine for 3 minutes). Stir often.
- Then, add the tomato sauce, vegetable broth, and spices.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat for another 17 minutes and stir periodically.
- Add the cilantro at the end.
- Top your favorite bread with the mix and enjoy as an open or closed sandwich!