Sometimes the weekend is all about work and there’s not much time for fun, but sometimes it’s all about stuffing your face with your favorite eats and having a great time. Well, I’m trying to make my weekends more full of the latter. My fiancé and I LOVE to go to Ann Arbor on Saturdays and enjoy some delicious vegan eats. He isn’t vegan but he tries to eat vegan food as much as possible for me, which I really appreciate (love you Marky). When I first wake-up, usually I have half of a kombucha. In terms of flavors, I alternate between trilogy, gingerade, lavender, and cosmic cranberry. Kombucha is my favorite drink in the world and it’s unusual for me to go more than a few days without one. Also, I did have a coffee later on but forgot to take a picture of it because coffee in a mug is kind of boring.
Ah, next up was Fred’s for a late breakfast. The space is seriously gorgeous and it’s aesthetically pleasing with all of the white, gray, and other light colors that compliment natural light. A food blogger’s dream! I got a green smoothie and my man got a chocolate protein smoothie and he loved it! If it’s difficult to get your significant other to emulate your healthy eating habits, encourage them to try smoothies packed with nutrients. Also, I ordered a fabulous veggie burger and it was a beautiful pink color (insert heart eyes emoji). The burger was topped with some kind of avocado sauce and I died and went to avo heaven.
Ooooooh and then I had a raspberry cupcake. It was the best vegan cupcake that I’ve ever had. Vegan cupcakes can be off when it comes to texture, taste, and sweetness, but not this one, it was uber delicious.
Next we did some shopping at cute little boutiques. There are soooo many great shops and fun things to do in Ann Arbor, I highly recommend visiting. After a ton of walking, we were ready for some green juice and in my fiancé’s case, coffee. I got a green juice with no fruit in it. Normally, I order green juice with just veggies to avoid the boatload of sugar that comes in fruit juice. Also, I think that green juice easier to digest.
Then we walked around some more. If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I have quite a large appetite, so it wasn’t long before I was hungry again. This time, we craved salads. Good thing that Salads UP was right down the street from us. We created our own vegan salads that were packed with veggies, tofu, and beans! YUM.
Sadly, there is not a Whole Foods in Toledo, so I drive to Ann Arbor to buy some of my favorites that aren’t available in the 419. The drive is not bad at all and it’s worth it so that I can buy gut shots, quality vegan cream cheese, and dive into the Whole Foods buffet. The random yet amazing dinner that I ate is pictured below. Of course I did not drink that whole gut shot bottle, I just took one little shot before dinner! Ummmm Whole Foods sushi is life and I dipped the pieces in vegan chive cream cheese, UNREAL.
Thank you Fred’s and Salads UP for accommodating our meals. Have a great week my foodie friends!
Since the weekend is almost here, it’s only right that I post the best snack bite recipe that ever existed. Ladies and gents, I present to you: Lemon Blueberry Healthy Fat Bites made with FRESH bluebz. That’s right my friends, it’s all about real and fresh food, and that’s what upbeetandkaleingit stands for. I refuse to count calories! I’m just making wholesome food with clean ingredients, and Lemon Blueberry Healthy Fat Bites are a perfectly nutritious snack. The coconut chips, coconut oil, and nuts are a healthy fat dream. I’ve been eating more healthy fat lately and I’m loving the results! These beautiful bites are a perfect combination of deliciousness and simplicity. Did I mention they taste amazing? Think about a decadent slice of lemon blueberry cake. Well these bites taste just like lemon blueberry cake, except they’re in a cute little snack ball form, even better!
Hungry? Hangry? Need something sweet? Want something with healthy fat to keep you full? LEMON BLUEBERRY HEALTHY FAT SNACK BITES ARE CALLING YOUR NAME. Sorry for the caps, I just get really excited about these.
Lemon Blueberry Healthy Fat Bites
A delicious, easy, and fabulous snack bite recipe.
- 1 cup oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut chips (I used Simple Truth Brand)
- 7 medium-large pitted dates (organic medjool)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (make sure room temp and I used refined)
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 6 ounces fresh blueberries
- Process everything but the blueberries in a food processor until everything is combined and a dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a bowl and gently fold in blueberries with your hands-be careful not to break them and make sure blueberries are dry.
- Form the dough into medium size snack balls.
- Stick the snack bites in the freezer for 15-20 minutes before serving and store them in the fridge.
UpBeet and Kaleing It http://upbeetandkaleingit.com/
1 hour, 1 bowl, and 1 happy stomach. Woooo, happy Monday! I say that as if we are all thrilled that it’s Monday. Well, whether it’s Monday or Friday, one thing is for sure, a yummy breakfast that includes healthy fat is a great start to the day. I LOVE that this pudding is super easy to make, packed with healthy fat, and quick! 1 Hour Healthy Fat Chia Pudding will keep you full longer and if you need a bit more sweetness, then add more maple syrup to the mix or drizzle some on top. Also, ripe bananas and granola are great ways to incorporate more sweetness without creating a sugar overload.
Fresh sweet berries and some healthy vegan cookies were my toppings of choice. Also, I did add a little extra drizzle of maple syrup for my fiancé’s portion. He has a bigger sweet tooth than I do! Fuel your body with the right things and it will reward you :).
1 Hour Healthy Fat Chia Pudding
A delicious, easy, and quick chia pudding that is loaded with healthy fat!
- 1/3 cup raw soaked cashews (soak in warm water for at least 1 hour and drain)
- 1 and 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (I used MALK brand and Califia Farms Toasted Coconut Almond Milk is great too)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5-2 tbsp maple syrup or however much wanted
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (I used refined coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut chips (I used simple truth brand)
- 4 tbsp black chia seeds
- Blend 1 cup almond milk, soaked cashews, vanilla extract, coconut oil, and maple syrup in a nutri bullet until it's fully combined.
- Then, mix in the coconut chips and chia seeds with a spoon.
- Cover the bowl or cup with plastic wrap and let it set in the fridge for at least 1 hour (pull out and stir at the 30 minute mark).
- When the pudding is ready, add 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk to rehydrate the mixture.
- Top with your favorites and enjoy!
- Serves 1-2 depending on how hungry you are lol
UpBeet and Kaleing It http://upbeetandkaleingit.com/