Helloooo! Happiest of Thursdays! It’s a casual 20 degrees here in paradise aka Ohio and that means I’m making all of the nourishing savory dishes that warm up my soul. Many people have been asking me for this recipe and I am so excited to finally present it to you! I chose farro because I really enjoy the taste and texture. It’s chewy and has a hint of nutty flavor. Ah, it really is the best. The star of this show is indeed the Cashew Pesto. You will not be able to stop eating it by the spoonful! What’s the key ingredient? Bob’s Red Mill Nutritional Yeast! If you follow my Instagram, you probably know that I use nutritional yeast in s0o0o many dishes. I absolutely love Bob’s Red Mill Nutritional Yeast and it’s one of my favorite ingredients to work with, particularly for cashew based sauces. You can sprinkle more on the finished product for extra nutty flavor. Ummm, parmesan whoooo? Also, you can use nutritional yeast in a variety of recipes-I’m talking salad dressings, most pasta sauces, vinaigrettes and avocado toast, to name a few goodies. Farro & Cashew Pesto is a mouthwatering main/side dish that everyone will enjoy and it’s versatile. If you don’t like the veggies and greens I used, then add your own twist :).
Doesn’t it look fantastic? The creaminess level of the sauce is unreal!! My whole family enjoyed Farro & Cashew Pesto, which is always a great sign. They’re not vegan, so anytime they clean their plates, the recipe is a great success. I took leftovers to work with me and honestly, the flavors tasted even better the next day!
Let me know if you can’t get enough of the Cashew Pesto, I’m tellin’ ya, it’s addicting.
Thank you to Bob’s Red Mill for sponsoring this post and supporting upbeetandkaleingit!
- 3 cups cooked farro
- 6 oz portabella caps-sliced
- 10 oz organic grape tomatoes
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- 3 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil for sautéing
- Sauce Ingredients
- 2/3 cup raw cashews soaked in water, rinsed and drained
- As much fresh basil as wanted
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 small garlic cloves or however much wanted
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Soak raw cashews in warm water for a couple of hours, rinse and drain.
- Cook farro according to package directions.
- Saute the sliced portabella caps, grape tomatoes and spinach in avocado oil on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- For the sauce, add all ingredients to a nutribullet or blender and blend until a smooth consistency forms.
- Combine the veggies, farro and sauce and enjoy!!
- Serves 4-5 depending on serving size.