Raise your hand if you like easy recipes that you can make ahead of time! I’m raising my hand high. Preparing these simple yet hearty Baked Veggie Cakes is truly a piece of cake. When you get home from work/school, you should be able to sit back, relax, and watch Netflix instead of cook. Life has been crazy busy lately and I’m not going to lie, I haven’t had much motivation to meal prep. Do you ever have those days (or weeks) when you just don’t want to cook and crackers & hummus sounds like a perfectly balanced meal? Even though preparing ahead of time can be a chore, I never regret it. If I don’t have clean food ready to go, I know that I’m more likely to nosh on processed junk. Needless to say, I’m so glad that I made these clean little gems earlier this week, even though they’re all gone now (brb crying).
I made these cakes with minimal ingredients that make you feel oh so good while you eat them AND after as well. Green bell pepper and mushrooms pair so well together, the flavors are out of this world. Also, I’ve been eating A TON of mushrooms lately (hello vitamins and minerals). Is anyone else obsessed?
Just to let you know, Baked Veggie Cakes taste divine with like 4385729 lbs of hummus on top. Have a great weekend!
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1/3 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill brand)
- 3 small cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp stone ground mustard
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz portobello mushrooms cut into small pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp chopped basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the chickpeas, extra virgin olive oil, gluten free flour, garlic, dried thyme, stone ground mustard, and sea salt/pepper in a food processor until a smooth consistency forms.
- Then, transfer to a bowl and mix in the basil and vegetables with a fork.
- Lightly grease a baking tray and form dough into medium sized balls.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Allow cakes to cool for at least 20-30 min.