You can eat your greens and have carbs with them too!
Happy #marysmeatlessmonday recipe! On the menu for your meatless Monday: incredibly simple Garden Pesto Pasta made with pasta of course (I love brown rice pasta), kale, sliced almonds, garlic, green onion, olive oil, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and a magnificent basil pesto sauce. I topped off the pasta with some nutritional yeast, which takes on the taste of parmesan cheese, just much more nutritious and vegan of course.
Moms out there, I’m guessing it’s hard to get you kids to eat their greens. This is a fantastic way to get your kids to eat kale and not even know it. Not to mention, it will leave the whole fam feeling satisfied, even with no meat or dairy.
Pesto is pretty awesome on top of everything-ever try it on toast with avocado? New obsession. But there is nothing like pesto pasta. The taste is so clean and refreshing, and you feel good about yourself after you eat it! No guilt like after cheesy high fat and high calorie Alfredo. Try it and see, I bet you’ll love it. I keep mine pretty low salt and pepper but you can add as much as you’d like. Same with the nutritional yeast. Some people love to douse it on and others prefer a mere tablespoon for topping.
So, to the pasta.
How gorgeous is that green!? Remember, green is lean.
Did I do any successful convincing here??? I sure hope so! Tag me on instagram and twitter (upbeetandkaleingit) with your recreations and #marysmeatlessmonday. I am also now on Pinterest! Stay happy and healthy, my friends.
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links! Help support upbeetandkaleingit when you purchase through my blog! Thank you!
- 1 head of kale of choice
- 1 box pasta of choice
- 1 tbsp garlic (I buy organic pre minced)
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp nutritional yeast to top (optional)
- 1 large handful of fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- This may seem like a lot of olive oil but this recipe easily serves 5-6!
- Cook the pasta according to box and until al dente.
- In a pan, sauté the kale and garlic in the olive oil and vegetable stock until fairly wilted. Then, add the green onion and almonds and cook until kale is completely wilted. This should take 10-12 minutes.
- Put the ingredients for the pesto into a nutri bullet or food processor and pulse until combined.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the kale. Pour the pesto sauce over the pasta while it's hot. I added 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast to take the place of parmesan but this is optional. I taste tested and added a little more salt and pepper at the end before serving.