“Give me a word, any word, and I show you that the root of that word is Greek.” Technically, this dish is called “Gigantes,” which comes from the Greek word giants. However, I decided to use cute little lima beans instead of giant ones. As some of you may know, I am Greek. “Toula, there’s two kinds of people: Greeks and everybody else who wish they were Greeks.” Ok, so that may not be accurate but I am proud of my culture, and I am proud of our food. Even though this dish does not contain meat, I think that it would still win over Aunt Voula. I don’t know why it has taken me so long to share my Greek Beans recipe on my blog because it’s easy and perfect. All you need is frozen lima beans, vegetable stock, tomato sauce, water, and spices. Yep, it is that easy to make. My Yia Yia (grandma) will be so happy that I shared this dish with all of you because it’s her favorite. She doesn’t quite understand the whole plant-based diet thing yet but I’m working on winning her over. Nonetheless, Greek Beans in Tomato Sauce is a dish that Yia Yia would fully approve.
Greek Beans in Tomato Sauce is a an excellent side dish for a dinner party.
Have a wonderful weekend!
- 3 cups small frozen lima beans
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cans of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Put all of the ingredients into a medium or large pot.
- Cook beans for about 45 minutes or until tender on medium heat. Cooking time may be slightly longer or shorter depending on size of beans.
- I put a lid on at the 20 minute mark.
- Serve with your favorite bread!