Awesome side dish alert. Mashed potatoes just got a whole lot prettier and tastier. Forget granny’s mashed potatoes, you have to try this!!
Do my potatoes look a wee bit orange to ya? Well, that would be the lovely sweet potato. The prettier and healthier sister of the white potato. Better taste wise? Well that’s very debatable. However, she is rich in beta-carotene and Vitamin A.
The logical thing to do in my opinion was mix the two together to get the best of both worlds. And it is a very tasty world out there.
Mashed potatoes need that little boost of something special since the taste is very bland with nothing else. I gave these mashed potatoes something very special, which entails red onion, garlic, and chives. Yum! I added a wee bit of salt to the potatoes but truly, they didn’t need any after I added everything else. Butttta? Forget about it. I used one tbsp of olive oil and one tbsp of soy free earth balance. Perfecto!
I have always considered mashed potatoes to be in the comfort food category. They can be in the healthy food category too! Try swapping out the buttermilk and and butter for these ingredients that are full of mouthwatering flavors.
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 small golden potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (I buy organic pre minced)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy free earth balance
- 2 tbsp chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onions and garlic in 1 tbsp of olive oil for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Boil the potatoes in water for 15-17 minutes. Boiling time may be more or less depending on size of cubes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them. Add the onions and garlic along with 1 tbsp olive oil, earth balance, chives and salt/pepper to taste.