What’s my secret to a happy and fulfilling life? Pasta. No joke, we all need a little bit of pasta in our lives and in this case, the pasta is healthy, so we need a lot of pasta! I try my best to make planty dishes that even the “worst” of cooks can recreate. This one is pretty much a no brainer. Tempeh, canned corn, canned pinto beans, green bell pepper, onions, and a few others are all simple ingredients that pack a lot of flavor and substance. The key to a fabulous pasta dish is all about everything but the pasta (gasp). Really, the veggies, sauce, and flavors take the dish to the next level and this recipe is muy bien. My dish will leave you feeling satisfied and light at the same time after eating a big ole pasta dish- don’t ya just love that?! I cannot tell you how amazing this pasta skillet is, so it looks like you’ll have to try it for yourself!
That “cheese!!!!” Oh my gosh, I love veggie cheese so much. I don’t eat it often but when I do, I go all out.
If you have kids that are picky eaters, what a great way to sneak in veggies, protein, and healthy carbs.
- Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- Two cans (15 oz each ) organic tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Filling Ingredients
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for sautéing
- 8 oz tempeh (original kind) cubed
- 1 can organic corn rinsed and drained
- 1 can organic pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped white onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 12 oz Brown Rice Pasta
- Veggie "Cheese" for topping
- Cook the tomato sauce on medium low/low heat for 25 minutes in a medium size pot. I had the sauce cooking on medium low for about five minutes and then took the heat down to low and put a lid on for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onions and green pepper in 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the beans, corn, tempeh and 1 tsp chili powder. Quickly stir and then add the pasta sauce. Cook for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, mix in the pasta, add veggie cheese to the top and put the lid on to melt the cheese for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe will serve 6-8 people depending on portion size.